Your dental health may indicate how well your immune system is working. If you have poor oral hygiene habits, you may be more likely to have oral health problems. This can negatively affect your immune system. The immune system is important for helping you fight off diseases, such as COVID-19. Keep reading to learn how…
Ask an Emergency Dentist: What Should I Do if I Lose a Filling?
Asking an emergency dentist for their advice whenever a dental emergency is experienced is something everyone should do. A dentist who offers emergency dental service is someone who knows the essential steps to take for any type of dental emergency. These first steps are a crucial part of ensuring successful treatment of the emergency situation. Thus, they should be carefully followed.
No one knows when a dental emergency is going to happen. Thus, it is always a good idea to have the information of an emergency dentist nearby at all times.
Information about fillings
Common reasons why fillings are lost
There are a few different reasons why a filling would become loose and even fall out of a tooth. Some of the more common reasons are listed here:
- Because the filling was placed many years ago and has reached its life expectancy
- Chewing on hard foods over time can loosen a filling, eventually causing it to fall out
- There is more dental decay present. This means that the tooth is also in jeopardy of now being lost and needs immediate treatment
- It is possible for saliva to break down the bonding, causing the filling to eventually become loose and fall out
What should be done when someone loses a filling?
When someone loses a filling it will need to be replaced. The reason the filling is there in the first place is to help protect the tooth from becoming further damaged. When the filling falls out, the tooth is now in jeopardy of becoming further damaged. The last thing someone wants to happen is for them to lose one of their teeth. This is because all teeth were designed to last an entire lifetime.
Since today’s dental options allow for different types of filling materials, a better filling material can be chosen when replacing a lost filling.
The following is a list of important steps that anyone who loses a filling can follow in order to help ease any discomfort or pain they are now experiencing:
- Clean the area: When a filling falls out it is important to not let any food or bacteria get into the hole that is now there. Rinsing with warm salt water often is recommended, as well as gently brushing the teeth after eating or drinking
- Use a temporary filler: Using a temporary filler is an option that is available at most pharmacies. It is important to use a filler that contains zinc oxide. It is only a temporary solution until they are able to make it to their emergency dental appointment
- Take over-the-counter pain medications: Taking over-the-counter pain relievers can help minimize any discomfort or pain
Need an emergency dentist?
Need an emergency dentist because one of your fillings fell out of your mouth? Or maybe it did not fall all the way out but is very loose and you are afraid it is going to fall out of your mouth soon? Either way, know that when you make an appointment with one of our emergency dentists, you can have your dental problem fixed in a quick and efficient manner.
We completely understand that sometimes when a dental filling falls out it can be a very painful experience. This means you need immediate dental treatment to stop your pain. If you are currently in need of an appointment, then please give us a call right now so we can get you scheduled in as soon as possible.
Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Read our Yelp reviews.
Cosmetic dentistry is focused on improving the form and function of teeth. One of the main aspects of this field of dentistry includes reshaping teeth that are uneven. There are a few cosmetic dentistry procedures that can be done to reshape certain teeth so that they appear more even and aligned with their surrounding teeth.…
Like everyone else, you have concerns about Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19). You want to avoid the disease, but you still need services such as dental care during this time. You can take comfort to know that your dentist is taking all the appropriate steps to watch out for you. When you go into the office, the…
Want to choose dentures that will last you as long as possible? When you get new dentures, you not only want them to fit well and look natural, you also want them to last you for many years. There are quite a few denture choices available nowadays for you to choose from, with conventional dentures,…